Regular PAT Testing is a legal requirement for all businesses in Ireland.
In Irish Law the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulation’s S.I NO.299 of 2007 states that all businesses must carry out PAT Testing on all portable appliances. PAT Tests must be carried out to to ensure the safety and welfare of your employees and customers.
The obligaton rests solely with the employer. You are held 100% responsible for the safe mainetenance of portable appliances (that’s anything with a plug – computers, hair dryers, your kitchen appliances such as kettles, toasters etc.)
BPT Electrical can supply the following services to Irish Employers who must:
- maintain portable equipment in a way that is safe and fit for use
- inspect portable equipment periodically if supplied by a voltage exceeding 125 volts (but not exceeding 1000 volts)
- inspect portable equipment periodically if exposed to conditions causing deterioration liable to result in danger
- ensure that a competent person carries out and certifies that the appliances are fit for use
- ensure that FAILED assets are put out of use until it made safe
Our team of PAT Test experts will visit your premises and test all of your electrical appliances. We will add a testing sticker to each appliance stating whether it passes or fails the safety test. Our team are very experienced in working around your staff, so they can continue to work while we carry out the testing.
What happens if I don’t PAT Test my appliances?
If you do not carry out an annual PAT Test and someone is hurt through contact with a faulty appliance and you subsequently are brought to court, it is for you to show that “all reasonable practicable care” or in some cases absolute care has been taken. The demonstration of this is often the difference between an employer proving employee negligence or sustaining substantial fines, even personal prosecutions when he/she is unable to do so. Remember your insurance does not cover you breaking the law!
How can we help?
BPT Electrical provide a professional, cost effective portable appliance testing service. We offer an annual testing agreement which ensures that you to comply with Health & Safety Regulations regarding portable appliance testing.